Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

~Robert Frost

This is a poem I have become sooooo familiar with...
I've discussed this poem in my english class a million time.
Apparently, this is the easiest poem to be given to an ESL student, sorry to admit.

It's so simple, yet so meaningful.
It's about an unfinished past...
that u'll never know how the outcome will be if you would've gone the other way.

It's not necessarily about your choices in school...
it also applies to life choices.

For instance, you're driving to this job interview
and you need to decide whether to take the local road or the freeway.
You take the freeway, there happen to be a car crash.
Then you need to decide whether to stay on the freeway or take an exit.
You get out of the freeway, and traffic is even crazier.
You ended up being late to the interview, and now you're stuck with a boring desk job and you'd live in a small apartment in Chinatown.
Your wife complains to you because you don't make enough money.
Your children ended up going to public school and get caught for a D.U.I.

If only you left home 5 minutes earlier...
If only you didn't take that freeway...
Your life would've gone differently...WAY differently...
I'm sure everyone have had that feeling before.

One small, simple decision could make ALLLLLL the difference...
and every choices that we made helped us to be the person that we are now.

But that's the thing about life...
we will be faced to maaaaaaaaaaany split roads...
sometimes 2, 3, 4, or even 5 choices of roads to be taken.
I can guarantee you, there will be regrets...
After all, we're only one person...we couldn't travel it all!

The thing to keep in mind is...
there's a brightside to every decission. Think positive!
Think wisely on every decision that you make because, thanks to Robert Frost, we now know we could never ever turn back and find out what the other road would be like.


No comments:

Post a Comment